Friday, January 18, 2008

Flying to Sao Paulo - an adventure in itself

Here are the highlights:

Arriving in SF airport, Alisa discovers that her shoes have two right inserts. We make cardboard signs to beg for cell phone use.

Delicious Mexican farewell dinner with Audrey and Meghan in which they try to give us everything they have on them because they think we´re not fully prepared . . .



Sit next to Peruvian grandpa on flight to San Salvador who joins us in finger painting 50 business cards.

Four hour lay over in San Salvador. We decide to surprise Ms. Lynch and Ms. Raimondi - if all goes right we have exactly one hour to see them and no idea where in El Salvador they are. Lucky we hitched a ride to the CASA and they were there. Bliss.



In the San Salvador airport discover that we finally have a host in Sao Paulo and that he is leaving his key for us at the front desk of his apartment building.

Layover in Lima - this is the "SP (Sao Paulo) Team" (as coined by Luis):



Raphael: "Ha-phael." Our new best friend. Sat next to him on the flight from San Salvador to Rio. Professional freelance photographer from Belo Horizonte who´s been living in NY City for the past two years. Married at city hall last month. Hasn´t slept in over 70 hours (and, therefore, legally insane).
Anji: Graduated in June from Georgetown. Visiting friend she studied abroad with in China. Works for an anti-smoking campaign in DC (we were, of course, sitting across from the smoking bar).
Luis: Lives in suburb of Sao Paulo. Is from the Dominican Republic. Going to dental school. Showed us photos of bloody mouth surgery. Was transporting his friend´s dog to Sao Paulo, and, yes, the tiny dog was definitely dressed in a santa suit.
Julia: From Sao Paulo. Studied in London for 4 years. Just visited geologist boyfriend in El Salvador. Hitch-hiked from London to Prague without spending a dime. Wore bunny ears for 3 weeks while traveling in Europe - sees a girl in the tube who is also wearing bunny ears, they switch ears and part ways.

During this layover we still had no idea how to get from the airport to our host´s apartment but luckily Julia offers to take us with her to her house. Her mom, Carmen, picks all of us up and we go back to their flat for much needed showers and a traditional Brazilian breakfast of fresh bread, meat, and cheese. Increible.




Then Carmen says, "It´s time to enter the real world," and drops us at the subway station, packs on our backs.


Here is some Brazilian money:


6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Dear Tessa and Alisa,

I am so happy for the both of you -- well, to be honest, happy and so envious! What an amazing adventure you are both going to have. Tessa, (I guess I should introduce myself as I plan on reading your blog regularly!) my name is Elizabeth and I had the privilege of studying in El Salvador with Alisa at the Casa. As I'm sure you know, saying she's one of a kind is an understatement! Alisa, I look forward to the day our paths cross again. Until then, you have a faithful blog reader who wishes you both well in your journies and will keep you in her prayers and heart. Miss and LoVe YOU! (you too, Tessa --) happy adventuring.
love,
elizabeth

Unknown said...

Alisa,

I have a week off in March (friday the 21st -- sunday the 30th). If there is ANY WAY you will know where you will be during that time, let me know. I would love to jump on board for a week and travel with you (wherever/however). I totally understand if you have NO IDEA where you will be. That's okay too. But let me know :) I LOVE YOU.

Jade

Terri Weston said...

I love your blog. Of course, I love it because it is about you two, but I also really like the layout. Great photos - it's fun to put faces with the names. Congratulations on your wonderful beginning! Take good care of yourselves, Terri

MamaK said...

I can't believe how amazing your trip has been already! Thank you so much for sharing as much as you have already! I can't wait to hear more(but if you don't have time I'll understand) Have fun you two!
with love,
Kailee

em said...

thank you so much for visiting!! even though it was just a few minutes, having you all in my life brightened it so much. i love you and will be thinking about you in the coming months, until you are back with me!

Stedwards said...

sooo jealous!!!!
hope our paths cross in el sav in march!

i love you both to pieces and am sending LOTS AND LOTS of nola love!!!