Saturday, February 16, 2008

Bolivia in all it's glory

After that terrible overnight bus ride mentioned below, we finally arrived in Uyuni, Bolivia at 4.30 am. We took advantage of the free space and slept on the bus for a few hours until they kicked us off. At 10 am we embarked on a 3 day jeep tour to explore the natural wonders of southern Bolivia.



This is the world's largest salt flat.

Alisa is really small.

She's still really small.

Gravity does not exist on salt flats . . . a little known fact.

We saw lots of crazy boulders.

And lots of llamas!
This is the desert that inspired some of Salvador Dali's paintings. Our tour guide told us that he rode through here on a camel . . . this is the first news of camels in South America . . . the tour was amazing.

This is one of the many lagoons we saw. The colors were even more vivid in person. The little pink dots are flamingoes!


Our friend, Camilla. We are still trying to figure out the difference between lagoons and lakes. We asked many people and the only response we received was that lagoons were smaller. This just does not seem right. If anyone has ideas on this, let us know.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I am SOOOOOOOOOO jealous because of all of the BEAUTIFUL places you're getting to see...but hey, the pictures are cool :)

Laura said...

Alisa,

I was just talking about you a couple of days ago with Rex Hambly! He was in Boise and looked me up, I didn't take him to the fabulous restaurant I took you and Annie to, but we still had fun :) So I was thinking about you and found the link to your blog on facebook. I'm glad I did. I read through the whole thing from the beginning sitting in a coffee shop in Boise. The people next to me were looking over my shoulder at the pictures. I am so glad your travels seem to be bringing both of you so much happiness, it is truly inspiring. I am sending the link to my parents, they will love it. My dad still fondly remembers tying your soccer cleats regularly. I love you, and am so glad I got to see you at Christmas before you left, I will always remember fondly your chocolate graham crackers!

katya said...

lake: simply, a large body of water surrounded by land

lagoon:
-stretch of saltwater separated from the sea by low sandbank of reef
-small freshwater lake near a larger lake

*so apparently a lagoon can be a lake, but can a lake be a lagoon?

love you two!

Unknown said...

Hiiiiii girls !!!
miss you tooooo much !!!!!
i´m realy happy to see that you´re having fun !!
pleasee enjoy the most that you can !!

1000000 kisses

hg = )

smdart said...

alisa! i love reading your funny stories, you make me laugh. miss you, take care bicha!

brady mcclain said...

wow, I am jealous

Samara Eve said...

ALISA!!! I just got your text and I will be sending you an email real real soon!! I actually have it semi drafted in my gmail so I haven't forgotten AND - CHRISTIE AND I GOT TO SEE THE OPRAH SHOW ON WEDNESDAY!!! Isn't that exciting...I'll write everything out in one LONG email so be on the look out!!!

Stedwards said...

omigosh this is so beautiful!
wanna jump together in two weeks in el salvador?
k. see you there.