Thursday, February 28, 2008

Just arrived in Panama City

From now on we are going to try to do a better job of posting more regularly even if we don´t have a really interesting story to share. We realize there are a few of you out there who really look forward to updates (Dad, this is for you). Also, if there are people out there besides our parents who check our blog . . . we would really love it if you would comment and let us know! Those of you who have commented (everyone knows who you are), we cherish every single word you type!



So we just arrived at a hostel in Panama City after 30 hours of traveling. We had a 21 hour bus ride from Cusco to Lima that we barely made because Tessa was waiting to pick up some handmade boots she had custom ordered while Alisa stalled the bus for 20 minutes by telling them that Tessa had terrible diarrhea. This was a bus company that´s reputation is based on their timeliness . . . let´s just say the staff did not love us . . . and we learned a few lessons. First, when the bus company tells you to be at the station at 1:30 for a bus that leaves at 2:00, you should probably be there at 1:2o, not at 2:20. Second, always put down the minimum down payment on custom made boots, not the maximum. We live and learn . . .



On our 21 bus ride, in which half the passengers seemed to be throwing up throughout, 6 movies were played at incredibly high volume. All 6 were American but 5 out of 6 were dubbed into Spanish. 3 of the movies were prison movies (two of which were incredibly violent and graphic, plus they played ¨Unfaithful¨ . . . unedited . . . with children on the bus) and 2 were Adam Sandler movies. One was both an Adam Sandler movie and a prison movie. What more could we have asked for?



P.S. If anyone has any ideas for what to do in Central America or any contacts, we have absolutely no plans and would love any help, especially with homestays!

15 comments:

Robin D said...

I've been silently stalking your blog - just haven't felt the need to comment. But I'll try to be more vocal. Love from DC!

Christian said...

Yeay! GoGo! Keep rocking Tessalisa! I read your stuff when it's hot off the press. Say hello to Panama for me. Hope you like the counter. Let me know if you want more!

Unknown said...

Hey cousin Alisa! I have been stalking your blog too but will try to comment more often. What is your Central America plan? I have a friend in Belize (American - from PA) who is a professional storyteller. She works with teachers and does literacy training in schools through stories. I think she's only going to be in Belize for another 2-3 weeks though, but thought you might enjoy making that connection. Here is her website: http://www.storytellerkp.com. I sent her an email with a link to your blog. Drop me an email and let me know when you have the chance: jenn@jemconsulting.org.
Love,
Jenn

Sara said...

my surrogate fam is from costa rica and still has most of the fam there. would you like me to make contact?

Meg C said...

Alisa! I dont know how to find you, so here you go. Thank you for the bday message! I hope all is well with you!

Love you
Meg

MamaK said...

We love you guys and even Caden loves reading/listening to your adventures! I keep telling people that I know who are traveling or interested in traveling to read your blog because you guys have so much to teach...or maybe learn :)
with love,
Kailee and fam

Stedwards said...

got friends/stays in nicaragua and belize (and obvi el sav)
lemme know!
steph

(and fam in italy/he lived in turkey forever and can give really good info on it if you need, i know that's down the line)

Luke said...

I hear they have some stuff called panama red down there.hmmmm.I haven't been able to keep up with you for a couple of weeks but i'm back.Now if I was in panama I'd check out the red but hey thats just me

calebrexius said...

Hey girls, I read the blog. Sounds like you two are having fun. Booyah! Much love from the eug'

calebrexius said...

I forgot to write:

a man, a plan, a canal panama.

it is a palindrome - same backwards as forward. Amazing.

klent said...

i pretty much read your blog religiously :) i really really hope nicole and i get to see you lovely ladies somewhere in this world... one more month until we're off!

Gina Jones said...

Hi Alisa,
What do you consider central america? I may have some contacts for you...when will you be there? I love reading your blogs....Your 2are AMAZING!!!

Unknown said...

I have some good news for you guys, and it's not that I'll be giving you $90 back! I just need to check some stuff with the National Board of Medical Examiners, and I'll write you with final details. And if you're looking for something to do, I remember learning about some kind of canal in Mr. Hamel's class Jr. year.

Unknown said...

HI Alisa (Tessa too!) I love reading your blog and check it every few days. I am living vicariously through you guys. The two of you taking this trip actually inspired me to start planning my own. I am planning on going to Africa & Australia (maybe Europe too) this winter (leaving after Xmas) for 9 months to a year. I plan on getting a nanny job in both countries and working/traveling while I'm there (not to mention living rent free!) Thanks for being an inspiration! I love you Alisa and am SO excited that you're taking this trip! Keep up the blogs ... trust me and everyone else who has commented ... they are ENJOYED and CHERISHED!!

Stay safe and keep making life-long memories!

Jade

Unknown said...

I read your blog Ms. Alisa (and Ms. Tessa-who-i-do-not-know-directly)!

Also, I worry about you. Puhleeeeaze be careful okay because i love you and cherish your happiness on this here earth.

If there is a moment where you are thinking "Hmm, maybe we shouldn't do this b/c it seems a little too risky even though i can't decide exactly why" please then proceed to think "casey really wants me to be safe so i will hold off and instead sit down for a nice meal or perhaps visit a cultural site."

thanks you're the best!